IF HUNGER ISN’T THE PROBLEM, FOOD ISN’T THE SOLUTION!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Giant Sized Portions = Giant Sized Me

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments about my blog yesterday.  I plan on "doing" a song once or twice a week - probably on weekends when I have more time.  I'm open to suggestions for songs you'd like :-)

Read JackSh*t this am and his comment on how his food hasn't been "spot on" really made me stop and think about my food. Since I started this wt loss journey about 3 weeks ago, my food choices have been better. Much better.  But I still am not watching portion sizes - an avacodo is full of "good fat" right?  But if I down the whole thing then I'm full of fat. (And full of sh*t when I'm fooling myself) Calories count. 

I bought a hand-held electronic calorie counter and digital scale last March, but I'd only used the calorie counter to log a couple of meals and the scale is still in the box.  Being aware of what I'm putting in my mouth is important as I know I totally underestimate portion sizes or calorie content of what I'm eating.  Or both. So I got out the calorie counter and logged my meals today.   And measured.

I know I use food for emotional reasons and addressing those underlying issues for me is key; but its also easy to fool myself into overeating even good choices.

Its also a huge eye opener about how many calories are in, say, that Santa Fee burger I ate at Red Robin Friday. 1095 calories!!! 68 grams of fat! 1508 mg sodium.... But at least they do have the nutritional info available on their website...and can even customize the toppings.  Several places, such as Applebees, refuse to put this info on their websites.

A couple of you have asked about my decluttering efforts - I plan to post more about that tomorrow. . I've been focusing more on the food and activity for wt loss; and since its been so nice I've been working outside.  (Win-win because I'm getting in some great exercise while cleaning up the yard; & lots more fun than this winter when I'll be on the "dreadmill')

A couple months ago I picked up a copy of  "Does this Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat" on a bargain table at Borders.  Started reading it tonight after I saw it mentioned by Lori Ann on her blog Princess in a Not so Fairy Tale World  (She has a video clip with author interview).  So far it looks very good.

Overconsuming, both food and stuff, for me is a sign of some underlying emotional issue - emotional pain I'm trying to numb, an emptiness I'm trying to fill.  But as a temporary "quick fix" it doesn't work and I just need more and more. If hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution. More "stuff" isn't either.

10 comments:

  1. Love your post DOC and so true...Love the last line and your right it goes so well...Good job on the measuring and the working outside, it has been nice here too...
    Love,
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doc. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I look forward to watching your weightloss and decluttering success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought some "stuff" to help me on my journey. Serving spoons that are measuring spoons--for some reason it makes portion control easier. Do I need them? No. Clutter? Yes. Yet, I did it anyway. That kitchen scale that sits on my counter gets an awful lot of use, but I still have the desire to surround me with stuff.

    Another excellent post, lots of food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I haven't read Peter Walsh's book, but my favorite clutter book is Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. Aside from the chapter on colon cleansing, I absolutely love that book. I get it out and read it when I feel the urge to declutter. I'm going to have to check out the book you recommend--at my library! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting on my blog, Doc! Isn't it amazing how many calories are in restaurant foods? It is no wonder that Americans are gaining weight by the ton! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a problem with more than just clutter, how about feeling overwhelmed with simply trying to organize things. I'll be following you to see how you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a clutter of books on how to get rid of clutter - including Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui. I agree absolutely - check them out at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm looking forward to following your blog as your journey unfolds.
    cluttered mind = cluttered house & body for me.
    i think it applies to many of us with weight issues. it's all connected and i also believe it's our faulty thinking that's the root of all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and HOLY MOLY on the calorie count of that burger!!! Sheesh!
    pure craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I had to give up eating avocados because I can't eat 1/4 of an avocado...one is a serving, right?

    I went to Red Robin a few weeks ago and they offered me the nutritional menu before I even sat down. OMG! I about died.

    ReplyDelete